Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Grateful Palate Leaves my Appetite Grateful!

Everything about Grateful Palate, from the fabulously cozy overstuffed seats to the dim-lit ambiance to the incredible food left me wanting more. My husband and I snagged a last minute reservation at Grateful Palate in Ft. Lauderdale last Saturday evening and couldn't wait to hear if all of the hype around this place was really worth it, and we found out that it absolutely was. Besides the fact that we became best friends with our over the top friendly server, we will most definitely be coming back for more.

After we had been sitting for a few moments, we were greeted by the sommelier. He was a down to earth guy with a real knowledge of the wine list. Yes, we enjoy a nice glass or two of wine with our meal, but we don't wish to spend more than $30-40 for it. Along with our server, the two of them came up with a fabulous French bottle of white wine called  Roche du Lune that not only fit the bill perfectly, but complimented our meal spectacularly.

When it came time to order, we were sure we were going to have the SeaBass and the Truffle Mac n Cheese special of the evening, and after we chatted with our server we ended up ordering the Scallops and the Duck Breast as our main courses with a small side of the Mac N Cheese as well as the Thai Beef and Conch Slider appetizers.

 The Thai Beef appetizer, served with cold marinated vegetables and Udon Noodles, was nothing spectacular but it quenched my taste for medium rare beef and tangy Udon Noodles. There was little to no heat in the dish, but the flavors were still enticing.

The Conch Sliders, served between two plantain cakes, were a highlight. The conch inside was prepared with a sweet and tangy sauce that made the flavors pop. The plantain chips were soft, and maintained in tact with each bite, making the slider extremely easy to eat.

  One of my frequent critiques when I order scallops at any restaurant is the "chewiness" of the scallops. Yes, a scallop is inherently chewy because that's the way nature made scallops, but a good chef can limit the "chewiness" of scallops, leaving their natural flavor to really shine through. At Grateful Palate, the chef did just that. These scallops were prepared to perfection. They tasted incredibly fresh, minimally chewy, and extremely large. When it comes to scallops I very rarely leave behind any, because they are such small portions. However, at Grateful Palate, these scallops were so big that I left almost half of an entire scallop for Carl to finish off. They were delectable in every sense of the word. I highly recommend these to any scallop enthusiast.


 Carl ordered the duck  breast. Let me first state, I am hit or miss when it comes to enjoying duck. I have had duck several times and it has gone 50/50 as far as my like for it. Let's just say that when Carl ordered the duck I was a little bit upset because I didn't think I would like it. Boy was I wrong! This duck was prepared impeccably. Each taste had a consistency more reminiscent of a filet than of poultry. The true flavor of the duck was a highlight, although the way in which the duck was prepared left a sweet aftertaste. It almost tasted like a breakfast sausage suited up for dinner. It was served atop a mixture of squash and zucchini. I had to apologize to Carl for taking so much of his dinner, as it was irresistible.



Our server, as I mentioned before, was fabulous. We heard her mention the truffle Mac 'n Cheese with shrimp special of the evening and our mouths immediately began watering. However, Mac'n Cheese is always a tough main course. It's so rich, especially once truffle is thrown in, and we worried it would simply be too rich for a main course. Our server told us she'd be happy to bring a side portion of the Mac 'n Cheese so we could at least taste it. We happily agreed, and both laughed about how the side of macaroni and cheese would likely set us back $12. When we got the bill, the server had charged us less than $5.00 for the side dish. We were thrilled, because not only was the price right but the creamy Mascarpone cheese mixed with the truffle flavor made this Mac 'N Cheese some of the best "fancy" macaroni and cheese I have ever tasted. I wish I could contract The Grateful Palate to make me Truffle Mac 'N Cheese every week to eat alongside my dinners at home!

Anyone looking for a wonderfully prepared meal at a middle of the road price should definitely make a reservation at the Grateful Palate located on 17th street just east of the 17th street bridge. It's perfect for a romantic date night, but it's also perfect for a night with the girls to enjoy some wonderful dining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment